The congregation was organized as the “Church of Christ in Lorain”, officially in 1876, with its first church service being held in Edison Hall on Broadway Ave. on December 17, 1876. Sixteen members of the new congregation signed the charter.
The first church building was erected on the north side of 5th street in 1878. It was a one-room wooden building that served the congregation for 24 years.
In 1901 it was replaced on the same site by what is known as the yellow brick church. This building had classrooms, a kitchen, and a dining hall as well as a sanctuary for worship. On June 24, 1924, the yellow brick church was struck by a tornado and almost entirely destroyed. They built a wooden tabernacle next to the post office on Broadway where they worshiped for 7 years.
In 1929 lots were purchased on the corner of 5th & Washington St and construction was begun on a new church building. The building that we now worship in was dedicated on Sunday, April 5, 1931.
In 1931 the name of the congregation was changed from the Church of Christ in Lorain to the Christian Temple Disciples of Christ.